Sunday, March 27, 2011

Five Pictures: The Huntington Library

As mentioned in a previous post, one of my stops on my recent visit to Los Angeles was the Huntington Library. This is actually a large complex of galleries and gardens in addition to the library which houses one fo the great private libraries collected in the late nineteenth century by the institution's namesake railroad magnate. I thought I'd be able to see everything in just a couple of hours, but that proved to be unrealistic. So now I have a good reason to go back some day to check out what I missed.

These are all pictures of the grounds; tomorrow I'll post a few pics of what I saw in the galleries. The estate was really crowded when I get there, with lots of folks enjoying the nice day, but as closing time neared, it thinned out considerably (which is why these seem kind of sparsely populated).

Most of these are from spaces between the buildings, but I gather there are some more substantial woods and gardens scattered across the complex. Still, I enjoyed the clusters of palm trees, as above.

Mixed in with the foliage are various sculptures and giant vases and whatnot. Clearly, much like John Paul Getty and his Villa, Huntington was a big-time collector, and it's to his credit that he created this public venue for sharing what he accumulated over the course of his life-time.

This young artist was sketching a statue that is hidden by the bushes on the right. Doesn't that look like a great way to while away an afternoon?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, John. I can't wait to see what was inside the galleries. Mom