Friday, October 24, 2008

Movie and Music Lists

Since I hope to use this platform as a means of offering some critical comments on music and movies, I figured that it might be useful for readers to have some sort of frame of reference for my particular tastes. So I have included, way at the bottom of this page, two lists. The first includes a sampling of my all-time favorite movies; the second a selection of my all-time favorite musical acts. Neither list is meant to be exhaustive. In fact, I will probably wake up in the middle of the night in horror that I left something special off, like Buddy Holly or The Big Sleep [don't worry-- I checked and they are both there] . Periodically, I'll probably go in and add or subtract items according to my current whims, but again, that will provide some context for what I have to say about new movies and music I'm writing about. The lists are slanted towards older material, because I think those will more likely be familiar, and therefore more helpful as reference points, to readers. Please don't take that to mean that I don't like new stuff. As you'll note from the Record Shelf setlists at left, I'm a great fan of new music, and I try to see new movies as often as possible too.

I fully expect to write a post for virtually all the new movies I see (probably a couple a month, more in the summers). I may not be quite so prolific on music, since I generally listen to new releases in fits and starts, rather than in one sitting. If I have time, I'll no doubt start writing some historical commentary on older stuff as well. I hope you find it interesting (and if so, leave a comment).

No comments: