Saturday, January 22, 2011

Soup Diary 110122

Do you know how they say you shouldn't go grocery shopping on an empty stomach? Well, today I broke that rule and ended up filling my cart, followed by a trip to Subway for a sandwich (as I couldn't wait to get home and make my own). Normally, I just get a sub, but as they were putting together my order, I noticed they had some soup on the menu too, so I had to have some of that as well. Now, I've had their soup before, and it's just what you would expect from a fast food place-- nothing special, but if it's good and hot you figure you've come out ahead. I was very surprised to find today's soup to be much more than that-- very tasty and a nice complement to my chicken sandwich. It was a Cheese with Ham and Bacon concoction, and often that means something heavy and salty (given my hunger, that didn't cross my mind ahead of time). But this was actually pretty light and creamy, with just enough tiny chunks of meat to give it some texture. Maybe I got there just as it was peaking, as opposed to having sat in the kettle for a couple of days. I imagine if I ordered it again, I wouldn't be so lucky, but for today at least it was a pleasant surprise, so kudos to the chef.

No comments: