Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Perfect Movie

I got a chance to watch Ruggles of Red Gap on TCM this evening, and once again came away thinking it a perfect movie. Perfectly cast (Charles Laughton, Zasu Pitts, Charlie Ruggles, Leila Hyams, Roland Young, etc.), perfectly directed (by the great Leo McCarey-- what a resume he had in the 1930s, with Duck Soup and the The Awful Truth among others), with a story by turns funny and touching without ever going over the top. I've seen this movie at least half a dozen times and it never fails to entertain me as thoroughly as any thing else I've ever seen. Some time back I posted a couple scenes from the film, but here's a longer version of one of them, giving you a better introduction to several of the characters. If you've never seen the whole movie, you really should check it out:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They don't make movies like this any more....what a pity! Mom