Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Soup Diary 120626

I remember when I was a kid, my mom would occasionally make stuffed peppers-- green peppers hollowed out and filled with a ground beef and rice mix and baked in tomato sauce.  I don't remember liking it very much, but I was a picky eater (and went through a long phase where I didn't like anything with tomato sauce on it-- spaghetti, meatloaf, whatever).  So when I saw, for the first time ever, a menu that included Stuffed Pepper Soup, my impulse was to reject it immediately. But noting that there were no other options, and committed to the idea of trying anything that wasn't seafood-based, I took the plunge.  The first spoonful tasted oh so familiar and I realized that the flavor (if not the texture) was exactly the same as in those stuffed peppers my mother made, and it was really good.  I chalk this up to the maturing of my taste buds over time.  But it does make me wonder why I never outgrew my aversion to fish?    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are old enough ,now, to try some fish some day...Mom