Friday, June 1, 2012

Soup Diary 120601

You know, there was a time when I could not wait for my next visit to Fables Cafe to see what kind of new and tasty soup they were offering.  But over the past couple of years, my expectations for the place have slumped to the point where my first visit this summer was more of an afterthought.  They did offer a variety that was new to me, and I dutifully ordered it: Beans and Greens. I think in my mind I was prepared for a letdown, and the first spoonful seemed to confirm its mediocrity. But then something interesting happened-- each successive taste was better than the last! I think I was so girded for disappointment that it took awhile for the actual quality of the soup to register.  But in the end it did.  It included white beans and big, thick clumps of kale (and maybe spinach) in a somewhat oniony broth.  Very tasty, and with a little luck, a portend of future visits, as the summer rolls on. 

No comments: