Friday, April 6, 2012

Soup Diary 120406

You've probably noticed that a lot of super markets now have soup stands, usually near the deli. Safeway is no different, but I avoided it for the longest time because the soups were advertised as Campbells-- and what's the point of buying hot soup for four or five bucks when you can get a can of the stuff for a dollar?  Not to mention the high salt content and mushy ingredients.  Anyway, I noticed a few days ago that the Campbell's logo has disappeared, and that alongside the kettles, the store was stocking plastic containers of their own homemade soup. So I decided to try a couple.  The Chicken Tortilla was too salty and more-or-less bereft of any of the things that I've come to expect from a good bowl of Chicken Tortilla soup-- like chicken and tortillas.  It did have a vaguely Mexican flavor, but that was not enough to make me want to have it again.  The Vegetarian Black Bean soup was much better-- quite zesty, and loaded with beans (both black and garbanzo) as well as carrots and onions. I can see grabbing some of this again when I crave something hot, spicy and quick.  There are about six or seven varieties altogether, and given the split decision on these first two, I'll probably give at least a couple of the others a taste.  The most tempting, one I almost grabbed instead of the Chicken Tortilla, was a Chicken Enchilada. But given the results on the former, I 'm not so inclined to take a shot at the latter.  We'll see-- stay tuned.  

No comments: