Friday, July 9, 2010

Soup Diary 100709

No, no, no, no! I think someone at Fables is having a little fun at my expense (though I have no reason to think they even know that I exist). For the second time in a week, they've offered a variety of soup whose name starts with Sweet Potato, and like the last time (with the Sweet Potato with Chorizo), it wasn't the exalted Sweet Potato Poblano. I gotta hope that they have a big barrel of yams* in the storeroom, and my favorite is on deck for a menu slot in the near future. In the meantime, the Sweet Potato Black Bean Corn Chowder that I did try was quite good in its own right, another tangy treat with chunks of sweet potato instead of the a blended creamy concoction, as with the Chorizo and Poblano varieties. Good stuff. I also had a cup of the Cheddar Broccoli (in the so-called "Duet of Soups" which also comes with a small salad) on this visit, mainly because the last time I tried it, I was pretty much blown away. That wasn't the case this time, but it was still very good. The difference was a lack of crushed red pepper, which gave it an exquisite kick the last time. I guess I should be glad that they continue to experiment with their recipes, but I wish they wouldn't monkey with perfection.

*I know yams and sweet potatoes are not the same thing; but since everyone else seems to use the terms interchangeably, I'm invoking artistic license here.

No comments: