Friday, November 14, 2008

Italy Trip 8

After touring the monastery mentioned earlier, I headed over to the street market surrounding San Lorenzo's church (built by the Medicis as their own personal "chapel"). Here's a shot of some of the vendors who crowd all around the square and streets around the church (which you can see in the background):

I then headed over to meet Bill for lunch. We'd agreed to rendezvous at the Piazza degli Uffizi, where I arrived to find a big demonstration going on in front of the statue of Neptune. It seems the local university students were protesting government cuts to education. There were a lot of speeches, and a pretty big crowd, but no unruliness.

After lunch, I headed for the Post Office to find stamps. It turned out to be a very confusing place-- with about 20 lines, some of which were for phone and telegraph services, but I couldn't make any sense of it (I found out later, most folks get their stamps at the little tobacco shops you can find anywhere). But here's a picture of the patio in front of the Post Office, which was filled with flower sellers:

Here's my favorite picture of all I took (though I admit, it doesn't reproduce here very well). Bill and I went back to where we heard the folk singer the night before, and this time there was a Polish musician playing some classical guitar. As we sat and listened, it started to drizzle a little, and I got this shot of a lonely stroller going down a side street with his umbrella up.

One more night shot, this one of the cafes that lined the Piazza. Notice how the rain-soaked stones nicely reflect the lights of the square:

That's probably it for today (I've run out of things to do while the computer uploads the pictures), but I'll have more tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.

No comments: